new piano pin replacement

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:03:47 -0500 (CDT)

>Roger and Glenn,
>If the block is solid, is the problem with the torque caused by uneven
>hole size or by differing pin diameters?  Are the tuning pins ever the
>culprits in situations like this?
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Absolutely! I've found .004"+ differences in diameter, some over spec, some
under, from pin to pin in the same box. I've found out of round, reverse
tapered, small in the center, wide at the bottom, etc. Years ago I found one
that hadn't had the threads cut, and the occasional one with no becket hole,
or the hole half way through, but that's just a broken bit that momentarily
got past someone. The denser the block, the more the torque readings will
vary from pin to pin under these circumstances... assuming the holes are
drilled reasonably accurately which, from the description given, may not be
the case.

So, Glenn, the next question is, what's the pin block material? This is just
curiosity. The piano probably should go back to the distributor as untouched
as possible. Then again, if the manufacturer says they will pick up the tab
for making it right, outline what you consider to be a good enough fix to
qualify as "right" and price it accordingly. If that means replacing the
pinblock to straighten out the drilling angles and get past any possible
delamination problems, then so be it. Stick to your assessment. That way
nobody's compromised and you aren't forever haunted my a band-aid patch on a
poorly built piano.

 Ron