unique soft pedal

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:39:58 -0500 (CDT)

At 03:04 PM 6/24/99 +0200, you wrote:
>I tuned a Carl Scheel upright yesterday, huge montster, lovely figured
>walnut case overstrung, underdamper. Its unique feature(at least to me) was
>when you press the soft pedal there is a mechnism under the back of the
>keys that lifts up the keys so pushing the front of the keys down, so to
>maintiain direct contact between capston and lever and so no lost motion.
>
>Cute eh?
>
>Brian Lawson

I'm in the process of rebuilding a grand action that has a hammer rail lift,
rather than shifting. The wips have lost motion compensators like the old
Packard uprights, and all that support hardware makes the stack weigh an
extra ten pounds. I'm replacing everything with more standard stuff, and
doing the necessary modifications to add the shift. It's going to need glide
bolts, shift lever, trapwork re-engineering, springs, keyframe pins and
guides, etc, etc. I'm doing key work at the moment, and haven't gotten into
the neat stuff yet, but it doesn't look like it will be too bad a job.
Hopefully, my hardware will get here by the time I need it. Now if this is
not just a case of ignorance=bliss...

 Ron