French Polishing

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:28:41 -0500

----------
> From: Richard Brekne <richardb@c2i.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Upright Action Mounts
> Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 8:22 AM
> Thanks for the tip. I have looked at several books, and the only references to
> french polish are pretty superficial. . But I am still looking for that dead
blank, mirror. I
> also have a bit of a problem from time to time with something that looks like
> fogging, but doesnt have the same causes. I suspect it has to do with uneveness
> in the thickness of the shellack but I am not  sure.
>
> Richard Brekne

There are books on refinishing and chapters on french polishing. Of the written
material the Mohawk seems the best.  I do not do it but was given a "guided tour" by
a guitar tech. So I recomend a teacher.   This person showed the steps and then
asked me how I liked the finish. "Wow like a mirror! " I exclaimed.  "So you see the
markings  on the light bulb reflected?" he asked. "Yes", I replied.   "What watt
bulb is it?"  "Well I can see the GE symbol, but can't make out the wattage"   "We
have a way to go" he replied.  When he was finished, I could see plain as day it was
a 65 watt bulb.      ; ) That's how good french polishing can be, or how good the
teacher is.   This was a clear polish.  Flake shellac and cotton seed oil.

ric Hypenot