was new piano pin replacement

Tunethepno@AOL.COM Tunethepno@AOL.COM
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:35:01 EDT

draine@mediaone.net (J Patrick Draine) wrote:
>Other forms of structural instability may be at fault too.
>A week ago a technician/small dealer friend & I were chatting at his shop.
>He had a 1950s spinet (I forget the brand; something similar to a Lester or
>Jannsen) he had taken in trade and then resold, only to discover that
>despite reasonably tight pins and a solid plate it would just not stay in
>tune.
>He took it back, added posts to the back frame, and the piano is now very
>stable (and back on the showroom floor looking for a customer with a $1400
>budget).

>Patrick
--------------
	I just tuned a new Wurlitzer console piano at the Baldwin/Wurlitzer
dealer here and noticed that there were no back posts. Is this something that
has been going on for a while and I just didn't notice, or is it something
new for BaldWurls? Has anybody had any experience with these and are we
looking at a lot of the same kind of procedure that Patrick is talking about?
I was wondering how stable the tunings would be.
	Also,  the action was a mess and in bad need of regulating plus a lot
of the butt leathers had a ridge that hung up the jack before it could get
back into postion. The dealer wants me to spell out the problems for Baldwin
and I'm wondering whether it would be better to send the piano back or set
aside a hunk of time and replace a lot of hammer butts and regulate and
straighten the key guide pins and etc. and etc.
John Stroup