Puzzler

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:16:18 EDT

Et Al;
 Good answers one and all.....but none were exactly right and Brian was the
closest with...
<<"If the kick board was pushed in farther than it was supposed to be, I could
see how that may cause a problem with something rubbing against it, and
subsequently against something else, but it seems that something that
blatant would have been making obnoxious noises, and not a particularly
difficult one to see.">>

 The answer is::::::: the kick board/kneeboard/bottom board was not installed
properly. .............................This model Kimball was one where the
bottom board had a kerf machined in the bottom edge and the pedal board had a
matching slot, or rabet, machined in the middle of the top edge.  In this
fashion when the bottom board is installed correctly the board sticks out
aprox 1/4 to 3/8 inch at the  pedal board.
  In this case the Bottom board 'kerf' had jumped out of the pedal board slot
and set down behind the pedal board but..........was covering the slot in the
pedal board. For all intents and purposes, 'visually', this board was
installed correctly.

 The bottom board was wedged in that position by the soft pedal and the soft
pedal was pushed against the bass sutain pedal.  Both pedals operated just
fine going down, and made no noise!!,  but both were verrry slow in coming
back up.

 After checking for damage I put the Bottom board in properly and everything
was OK...........but the first four things I thought of (all were mentioned)
were flat wrong.  :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)