Very Strange Piano

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:39:34 -0700

Elian Degen J. wrote:

> Manufacturer  Wilhem Spaethe  Serial No 2777

I'm so glad you posted this.  I have a customer with the identical
instrument but the name has been effaced.  Now I know what to tell them.

> City Gera, Reuss.  ? ... where is that ?

It's in eastern Germany

> Model Höhe ...

Means "tall," which it certainly was by European standards of the time
(late 19th c., I would guess, probably their tallest model)

> Presumed end last century, I could not find info about it.
>
> The owners asked me to restore it. I checked the piano, and amazingly
> Soundboard, Bridge, Crown, are in excellent condition, even as it is
> sound is superb.
>
> Excellent Keyboard condition  Real Ivory and Ebony
>
> The owner says there are only 2 of them in the word.

I doubt it, but if so my customer has the other one.  The term "model"
implies a series.

> Needs whole set of strings. Pinblock and tuning pins. Hammers (which I
> would like to have custom made if possible the same as the Bass
> Strings)  Needs dampers, center pins, and almost all the felt parts..
>
> I will be grateful for any information on any similar situation, and
> about the piano makers and factory.
>
> After checking the instrument I consider it worth it but opinions are
> welcome

I consider it worth up to 100 hours' labor.  Any more would be for love,
not money.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA