S & S capo bars, zings, etc.

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:28:39 -0600 (CST)

Yo your own self, you Ed-like person you.

>Yo, Ron N'man!
>	Occam's razor says "Don't compound hypotheses" but reality hasn't
>gotten the message, I guess.
>	-Yesterday I attended a recital for flute, horn and piano trio. That
>piano was an ultra-zinger, real h-ll to tune. I don't think I'd like to hear a
>solo recital on it as is, but wow, it was great with flute and horn, those
>zings gave it a definate voice in between the brassy horn and the plain flute
>sounds.  I've heard this trio with a different piano, and they couldn't get the
>effect the zinger gave them.

* Uh oh, this is starting to look like a budding career in advertising.

>	-Duplex zingers are one thing, zingers from bad termination points are
>another.  Good rebuilding includes replacing or resurfacing agraffes, doesn't
>it?

* Yep, but I understood the contention to be that hardening the V bar would
help the duplex zingers. Was that not right?

>	-I wonder if burnishing the capo would harden the surface enough to
>make a difference.

* I don't know. Cast iron is crystalline and not terribly malleable. Does it
work harden? I haven't a clue, it never came up before, but I would guess not.

>	-Isn't there a simple way to test some of these ideas?  You know,
>stretch a wire over a section of case-hardened capo, drop a big ball-bearing on
>it, measure something...

* Sure. Mark Bolsius reported in a post that Ron Overs had added a small
pressure bar to shorten a noisy front duplex and it worked great. The last
two grands I strung got the "tuned" front duplex replaced with appropriately
sized and positioned brass half-round bars to get a 20 degree +
(thereabouts) draft angle and the shortest practical duplex length and it
seems to have worked just fine. I'll know more about this last one when I
get the dampers on and the action done. There's not a scrap of felt anywhere
on the plate at this point and I'm curious to see if anything makes unwanted
noises when it's all together. I'll let you know what comes of it.

>	-There may be room for many ideas in this world, but when you get to
>heaven, watch out for the Steinway boys!
>         Regards,
>	-Ed Sutton-

Now Ed, you know they couldn't possibly be in heaven, so I'll probably run
into them somewhere else.

 Ron