A Question re: Stealing Customers??

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:14:53 EST

In a message dated 3/2/99 3:20:28 AM !!!First Boot!!!, btrout@desupernet.net
writes:

<< What position does the 'guild' take, and what position do you as
individuals take in
 regards to servicing a customer of another guild member?  What do you do if
your
 customer calls upon the 'other' tuner in town, or responds to 'their'
advertising? >>

Brian:

There is no "official" Guild policy on this matter. But as a matter of
information, my reaction is very simply, This is a free country, and customers
are free to ask anyone to work on their piano. Over the last 22 years, I have
serviced many pianos that were tuned by my friends in the chapter. And vise a
versa. It all comes out even in the long run.

Why do customers call another tuner?  There a re several reasons. One,
although I would like to think I am the best tuner in town, (although I know
there are other who are just as good or even better), there might be something
about my particular tuning that didn't satisfy a customer. It might not be the
temperament, or octaves, or unisons, that the customer didn't like. It could
the way I tune. Maybe they didn't like my hard blows, or that I tune very
fast, or that I didn't play their favorite tune when I got done. Who knows.

Another reason is that there are a lot of customer who never use the same
tuner twice. When they think it is time to get the piano tuned, they just open
the Yellow Pages, and pick someone. They might not be aware that we want to be
"their" piano tuner, and so they just pick who they want. It might be on the
recommendation of a friend, or just the way your name is spelled.

The last reason could be your schedule. I get a lot of calls asking to get the
piano tuned within the next couple of days, at a certain time. If my schedule
is full, they just hang up and try someone else. Even if they have used you a
couple of times, it is more important to the customer to get the piano tuned
when they want it done, than who does it.

There are probably other reasons why customers change tuners. But don't think
of it as one "stealing" a customer from another tuner. I never let it bother
me. In fact, discussing mutual customers is a topic of conversation at come
chapter meetings.

I hope this dispels your fears. I would recommend you attend a chapter
meeting, and join the PTG. You'll find us to be a very helpful bunch of guys,
willing to share not only information, but also customers.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis