pitch raise

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:22:49 -0500

Les,

You'll probably get a variety of answers and opinions.  When I find a
piano that is exceedingly flat, my response varies with the piano and
the wishes of the customer, who, after all, owns the piano and will be
expected to pay for the services I provide.  Will other instruments be
played with the piano?  If so, it's pretty important to take it to
pitch.

If the piano is fairly new and I see no structural problems, I generally
recommend taking it to pitch, but I do several passes if it's more than
about 70 cents flat.  I do not like raising it more than 100 cents on a
pass.  If the piano is middle-aged or old, I generally prefer to just
tune the piano and see if there is problem even with small changes, then
respond accordingly.

Two weeks ago I tuned a 1948 Story & Clark console that was up to 250
cents flat.  I encouraged the customer to let me take it easy, but she
wanted it to pitch, so after ample warnings I did it.  Fortunately there
was no problem with tearing strings.

Now a word about speed.  How long does it take you to do a normal
tuning?  If you need more time there, say 1 1/2 to two hours, your
pitchraises will be slower also.  My average tuning takes 45 minutes and
a one-pass pitchraise 15-20 minutes.  I start out the same way as I
would for a tuning, but I move quickly, not worrying much about
accuracy.  The pitch won't stay exactly where you put it anyway.  My
pitchraise charges are currently tiered; a certain amount for up to 50
cents, more for 50-100 cents, and still more for 100-200 cents.  I
invented a charge for the piao mentioned above, since I rarely run into
one that flat.

Whenever I do a pitchraise I mention to the customer that I do
everything possible to avoid tearing strings, since they are so
unnerving, but the quoted prices do not include string repair or
replacement.  This keeps them from getting on my case if something like
that happens.

Clyde Hollinger
Lititz, PA