Steinway pin block removal

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:30:33 -0700

Tunethepno@AOL.COM wrote:

> I have a Steinway ("M" I think) that has a pin block with the laminations seperating. > There are no obvious screws to remove the block. Do I drill out what look like dowels > on the treble end and then cut/chisel/pry or whatever it takes, or is there a less > violent way to get the old one out?
I have replaced many-a-Steinway pinblock without any problems.  Yes,
drill the dowels out, it's no big deal.  Also drill a number of holes
along the stretcher on one side.  This will provide stress releif for
bending and prying the block out.  This is the technique described by
Cliff Gears in his pinblock instructional video. Some pounding from
various angles, a little prying, and it should break loose.  You may
need to insert a chisel along the stretcher to break the glue joint
there.  Some veneer may tear loose but don't worry about it.  Take it
slow and keep it to a minimal, but it will be ok.  You can clean up the
stretcher and fill-in new veneer pieces as needed later. As one well
respected tech friend used to tell me, "It's a piano- it ain't brain
surgery on the president".

I would strongly discourage cutting it up.  On occasion with stubern
blocks it may become neccesary to do some cutting, particularly in the
corners, but try to get it out in as much of one piece as you can.  You
need it for duplication!!  Once it is out, duplicate it in the usual
way.  I have found in every case that it is neccesary to cut the
stretcher side of the block so that the block will have a very slight
upward angle (maybe 2 degrees or so). If not the block tends to be a
little low at the plate flange end. When it comes time to install it, I
always insert some screws in addition to the dowels, one at the bass
end, two at the treble.  This insures a tightly clamped joint during
gluing.  Drill and insert the dowels AFTER the glue has dried.
Perfect!!
> Also, I was considering Delegnit instead of a S&S hexplank, is that a
> reasonable substitute?
I've used Delegnit numerous times in many pianos, including Steinways.
I personally like it. It has a nice uniform feel on the pins.  This is
of course controversial since everyone has their own opinion on what a
pin block should be.  You might also want to consider a Bulduc block.
They more closely resemble the original Steinway type, and I believe
them to be better.  Personally I do not like Steinway blocks.  I
sometimes find them mushy, (even on new pianos), and beleive there are
better alternatives.  My opinion.

Rob Goodale, RPT