Capo hardening

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:08:48 EST

<< Bill,
 I thought the material would become softer because the grain structure
 allowed to change in the welding operation (I'm just going from old
 memories).  Have you done local hardness testing to find out how much the
 hardness in the heat effected zone changed?   Any hardness data you have
 would be most welcome.
 doug richards >>

Doug,  not being a metallurgist, I cannot say for sure.  My welder was sure
that it was a good procedure, and I don't believe he added material to make
the surface harder.  I believe that there is some similarity to the hardening
in steel that this procedure creates - superheating and rapid cooling.  The
surface becomes harder, somewhat more brittle.   I do not have the equipment
at my disposal to do hardness testing.

Does someone on this list have data on what a procedure like TIG welding a
typical cast iron capo would achieve in terms of hardness?   And where might
we find Conklin's work on capo bars published, if it is?

Bill Shull