Teflon Steinway - Solutions?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 23:36:20 -0700 (MST)

Hi Keith:

I still think you were right originally. The teflon does not change except
as a result of the surrounding wood affecting it. As a shank fork takes
on moisture, the hole for the bushing enlarges. I know that this seems
contrary to our experiences with regard to loose and tight tuning pins,
but the principle is the same. Moisture causes wood to swell. This swelling
takes place more across the grain. In the case of pinblocks, it is the wood
swelling between tuning pins which causes the pins to be tighter. In the
case of a shank fork, there is no restraining force of neighboring wood to
force the grain to impinge upon the tuning pin. In the case of the
tuning pins, when the block is dry, the wood between the neighboring tuning
pins shrinks and therefore less pressure is exerted upon the tuning pins.

At first, all this sounds counter intuitive. I have written on this before
on this list, and I still have a maple board in which I had drilled a 1"
diameter hole. It was carefully measured. After soaking the board in water,
the hole enlarged in the direction across grain. The enlargement along the
grain was imperceptible. You must understand that this was just one hole
in one board. If there had been multiple laminations restricting the board
from getting wider as is the case with pinblocks, then the holes would get
smaller due to the swelling of the wood between the holes.

In hammer shanks, there is no restraining
force from cross laminations, hence the holes do get larger and the teflon
which doesn't swell is relieved of pressure and thereby rattles. During
the dry cycles, the shank fork shrinks and applies more pressure cross
grain and the teflon in turn squeezes the center pin tighter and we then
have tight flanges.

Jim Coleman, Sr.