Seeking recom. for church piano

Rolland Miller rsmiller1@mediaone.net
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 21:45:28 -0500

The United Methodist church of which I am a member, is considering the
purchase of  new grand piano for our sanctuary and I have been asked to
make some recommendations. We presently have a studio upright of
moderate quality.
1) We have an excellent pianist who will be a senior next year at a well
known/respected conservatory of music. Part of our reason to get a new
piano (for the church) would be as a thank you to him.  He is also a
church member and looked at as "one of our own". At the consevatory he
plays mostly Steinways but that would be out of our range.
2) We have an excellent Music Director who has a lot to do with number
3)
3) Our congregation "loves it's music".
The seating area of our sanctuary is about  40' by 54' and the altar
area about 30' by 20'.  The seating area will hold about 200,  the side
walls go up about 16' and the peakof  the ceiling is about 25' high.
The carpet is thick.  The interior walls are plaster w/wood trim.

I am personally partial to the Kawai and Yamaha brands.  I think they
are good pianos - price/quality. We will be considering other piano
makes also.   I would like any information listee's may have concerning
1) how to go about selecting a piano for a church. 2) what would be an
appropriate size piano considering the church's specs. 3) any
suggestions for a particular make or model, either to look at or stay
away from. 4) any other information you think may be helpful to us.
Replies can be made either to me or to the list.
Thanks for any info. Rolland Miller, North Ridgeville, Ohio.  MPT,
PTG/rpt
rmiller1@mediaone.net