Seeking recom. for church piano

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 22:59:24 -0500

Hi Roland,

This may not be what you want to hear, but here goes.

The person playing the piano is accustomed to playing a Steinway.
Steinway's are generally fine instruments.  New ones are generally
pretty expensive.  (So are used ones!)

Now let me throw you a curve.  Have you checked into the possibilities
of acquiring a rebuilt piano?  I'm not talking about a 'reconditioned'
one.  What I'm saying is you could probably acquire a 'remanufactured'
piano (new soundboard, new bridges, new pinblock, new strings, new
hammers, dampers, and many other action parts as well, recovered keys, a
fresh new finish, etc.,...) for less than the price of a new Steinway.

Actually, there are a few other name brands out there that are good.
I'm sure I could start a hearty debate on just what names to consider.
My own tastes lean toward Mason & Hamlin.  I did a complete
remanufacture on one last year, 1927 model A,... gorgeous!!  I really
missed that thing when it left the shop.  Tweaked to the hilt!  Of
course Steinway's are a good choice.  I've seen some older Baldwin's
which would be very fine instruments if remanufactured.  I've seen some
nice old Chickerings, Knabes, Henry F. Millers,  I'm sure there are
others.

Another thing to consider.  Some of the technicians out there who get
into the serious rebuilding / remanufacturing do better work than what
comes off of Steinway's production lines.  (OOPS!  I think I just took a
shot at one of those 'sacred cows'.)

Just because it's new doesn't make it good.  Just because it's a hundred
years old doesn't make it bad.  It's the individual instrument that's
important.

Good luck with your search.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.