Harmonic Distortion / Overdriving strings?? Noise Question???

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 08:45:38 -0500

Thanks Mark and Ed both, and Ron too.

Actually, the very first thing I tried, was doing a thorough string level /
hammer travel / match the hammers to the strings... and it did help... a
little.  The sound was more pure and there was a lot less garbage in there,
but... that noise was still there, strong as ever!  I tried needling the
daylights out of hammers.  It helped.  But if I hit those same keys a little
harder, there it was, the same noise.

Ron put up an e-mail which got me to thinking.   Soundboard impedance.  This is
one I'm going to have to study a bit.  I haven't paid much attention in the
past, but I think it's time.  There were several Boston pianos that went back
to Steinway last year to put new soundboards in.  Some kind of problem with the
'tone', or "they just don't sing", if I recall.  Perhaps the Kawai soundboards
(that's who makes Bostons) are quite different from Steinways???

Again, thanks for the thoughts.  I appreciate the input.

Hope you're all having a great weekend.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.