Harmonic Distortion / Overdriving strings?? Noise Question???

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 09:46:00 -0500

I'm betting that Ed is right, but if not, try this:

Crawl under the piano and have an assistant strike the offending note(s).
While the notes are being struck, place firm pressure with your hand at
various points on the soundboard.  There is a chance that you will locate a
point on the board, that with a little pressure, will eliminate the
offending sound.  If so, try a wedge between the ribs and soundboard or a
cork between the plate and soundboard in that location.  In effect you will
have changed impedance but, more importantly, you will have solved your
problem.

Frank Weston

----------
> From: btrout@desupernet.net
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Harmonic Distortion / Overdriving strings??  Noise
Question???
> Date: Sunday, March 07, 1999 8:45 AM
>
> Thanks Mark and Ed both, and Ron too.
>
> Actually, the very first thing I tried, was doing a thorough string level
/
> hammer travel / match the hammers to the strings... and it did help... a
> little.  The sound was more pure and there was a lot less garbage in
there,
> but... that noise was still there, strong as ever!  I tried needling the
> daylights out of hammers.  It helped.  But if I hit those same keys a
little
> harder, there it was, the same noise.
>
> Ron put up an e-mail which got me to thinking.   Soundboard impedance.
This is