warning! long. Multiple pianos and pitchraising

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:47:53 -0700 (MST)

Hi Bill:

I liked the quote from Mose Allison "I don't worry about nothin', cause
nothin's gonna be ALL right." It goes well with the home spun humor
which says: "Who says worrying doesn't help, Just look at all the things
I worried about that never happened."

Tuning from just one measurement instead of 11 measurements saved us several
minutes in a situation where every minute counts. We finished on time.

Normally, I would measure each piano, however, this would not guarantee them
being exactly together because the middle section of the piano is tuned
by the 4ths partials mostly, which with the widely varying inharmonicity,
the stronger fundamentals and 2nd partials would not be together at all.
If I were tuning identical pianos, then this slight problem would be
eliminated. The amazing thing was that with the great diversity of Kimball
to Samick (high inharmonicity to low inharmonicity) the orchestra effect
was the salvation in this situation.

Of course I should mention that at our church we keep the Kawai KG5 tuned
to the 18th Century Well temperament (Moore & Moore, page 264 in big Red).
No one ever complains that the piano and Organ are not together. I don't
even notice differences while music is being played, and we have lots of
Organ/Piano duets from week to week.

Jim Coleman, Sr.