Historical Temperments

Deryck Harnett dharnett@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:25:58 -0330 (NST)

Friends,

Some people here have expressed an interest in historical temperments but
are reluctant to take the plunge without hearing some first.  I have
passed around a copy of "Beethoven in the Temperments", but I am wondering
if anyone knows of other recordings in non-equal temperments.  For
instance, what temperment does Malcolm Bilson, or any of the frequently
recorded early music groups use?  Are there other disks like the Beethoven
one mentioned above, where a contemporary instrument is tuned to a
temperment other than equal?

I know temperments are a great source of discussion, but my intention is
only to find sources for discovering their qualities for musicians.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Deryck Harnett