If it worked, the technique is right! Richard L. Hopkins

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:52:43 EST

Someone wrote:

<<If it worked, the technique is right. If it doesn't, you made a mistake. >>

Would any defenders of this sentiment please raise your hands? ( And, your
voices in support!)

 I see an awful lot of this attitude in posts on this list. Why? It is not
only simple-minded, it is extremely unprofessional.  I thought the whole point
to being a “professional” anything, was to do that thing right, to do things
the “correct” way, the “best” way.

For those with your hands raised, you will love the following quick and easy
repairs I once saw on a grand piano.

Repair #1 - The repairman tapped all the pins without supporting the pinblock.
“It worked” as a technique because the torque increased and he could now tune
it.

Repair #2 - (later - same guy, same piano) - The bottom lamination of the
block delaminated, downwards, preventing removal of the action. He pried it
off with a screwdriver! - “It worked!” The action could now come out! The pins
were just high enough not to restrict the action removal.  - the technique was
right!

Repair #3 -  (even later - same guy, same piano) - The second bottom
lamination, now the bottom layer,  also was delaminating, and the pin torque
was dropping. He drilled small holes through the plate web, around and amongst
the tuning pins, put in about forty  #10 machine screws, and  a square nut on
the bottom of each.  There was clearance for the nuts because the bottom
lamination was gone now. Then he ran in some white glue and  partially sucked
the laminations together again by tightening the screws. Then, forty whacks
with a hammer and a sharp cold chisel made the bolts flush with the nuts, and
the action could be removed again!

When I saw the piano, the pin torque was adequate, it could be tuned.  This
genius repairman had saved this piano! “It worked, the technique was right!”

(((((   IMPORTANT  NOTE!  - For those on this list who believe that all
opinions are equally valid, that the opinions of morons carries the same
weight as that of competent technicians, ----let me state categorically - THE
ABOVE   POST  IS  SARCASTIC!  - I strongly recommend that no one ever repair a
piano is such a way. ))))))

Bill “the end does not always justify the means” Simon
Phoenix