Fungus? (was Re: Steinway upright--verdigris?)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:02:34 -0500

[There's a test below this reply, in case anyone is interested]

Sorry Bill, thanks to sorting, I missed this on an earlier fly-by.

My responses:
1. The rest of us have dreams that often become reality. No reason to think
you'd be any different.
2. I may have had the same dream one time, perhaps as a result of the same
plant!
3. Maybe I missed one of Francis' dog & pony shows where he extolled the
mis-virtues of plant life. I was at the "grand opening" for the 'Zapper',
and at a later one, where he recanted?  -- (stopped endorsing the 'Zapper'
for centerpin use). Have seen R. Woltz presentations, but not in this
subject area.
4. I think the sourcing is not important; rather that we set the record
straight (as applicable) for ourselves and others. Francis did, with his
own tool. [Finger pointing at you with thumb in my direction -- I too have
(a) misunderstood others (b) mis-quoted others in spite of good intentions.]
5. I suppose this means the foot spray is out of the question. If so, sorry
we had to abort -- I really thought that's where you were going with the
thread.

Trivia question: I'd like to know how the treated S&S flanges became
super-saturated. Surely the flanges had to be heated, treated, or something
else to cause them to wick that much gunk. I once tried a reversal
experiment, using a heat gun. It was a "controlled experiment" (sounds good
anyway), in that I spaced the heat gun away from the flange just enough to
seriously heat but not nuke the flange. Objective: to cause the paraffin to
become liquid and drip out, and leave a normal, dry flange. Results:
inconclusive. Had a big puddle below flange, flange was still dripping, and
I was tired of the noise from the heat gun. Almost forgot -- these flanges
were abnormally dark (saturated), compared to some others. Any answers?

At 03:16 PM 3/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>I guess I have taken literally the common, analogical use of the word fungus.
>However, I really did come to believe that the Steinway cloth center condition
>also involved a growing plant - how did I get there?  Do I dream about this
>stuff at night?  Hope not.  I think this was a widely held belief, at least
>here in southern California.  Didn't Francis Mehaffey and Randy Woltz
>postulate this in using heat treatment?  You were around here then, I
>think....
>
>Thanks for your clarifications on definitions -
>
>Bill Shull

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net