Can we ever retire?

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:46:10 -0500

Hi Frank,

I appreciate your thoughts.

The main thing you said in your post is about living below your means.  There's a
lot to be said for that.  Life can be a lot easier if you're not making payments
on cars, payments on a home, payments for credit cards, payments, payments,
payments...

Something in this society leaves us all trying to keep up with the "Jones'", all
the while the Jones' are two paychecks away from repossessions and three payments
away from bankruptcy!  I'm starting to really question where all of the toys in
life will get me???  It's 11 years that I've been married this October.  When we
started out, we made about $850 a month.  We did just fine.  No new cars, no
fancy house, but when I think back, we were happy.  Now that I've had a little
taste of trying to live beyond my means and where that leads to, I'm pursuing a
life of debt free living.  I'm not there yet, but I'm going in the right
direction.

No matter if a person makes $15,000 or $150,000 a year, it's what you do with
what you make that counts.  That's the money management part, which you also
spoke to.

But something that I see in your post that touches a soft spot in my heart is the
fact that your child means more to you than the money you could be earning by
spending your time elsewhere.  Sounds like you've got your priorities in order.

Retirement?  Can you ever retire?  That's really up to you.  Set your goals, work
your plan, and enjoy the life you've been given.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.