Bass strings on yamaha grand

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:57:55 -0400

Mark Bolsius wrote:

> I have occassionally found Yamahas to have "tubby" bass strings, but only in
> older examples (15-25 years old) and most commonly in the imported grey
> pianos. This problem does sound like an outside influence of some sort,
> (check for staining of any kind, even hand or finger marks) as others have
> already suggested.

My experience mirrors yours, but its still leaves me with some
unanswered questions.  I once found a Yamaha studio piano in a Shakey's
Pizza Parlor where the bass strings went way beyond 'tubby' to nearly
INAUDIBLE.  I replaced a set on a Yamaha studio in a nursing home a few
years ago: now they're starting to get that characteristic dead sound.
In both cases (and there have been others) there is a distinct
possibility that spills have occurred, but wouldn't you expect to see
more unevenness in the sound?  Why does this subject always come up with
the  Yamaha name attached (besides the fact that they are very popular
institutional instruments)?  Why would new Mapes strings eventually
suffer the same fate?  I have suspected structural problems, but have
not found anything so far.

I'm not a Yamaha basher - I have many in my clientel that I look forward
to servicing - but the coincidence is fairly strong.

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD