stress on the job. was Re: piano tuners are 126

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:31:23 EST

In a message dated 3/20/99 2:49:28 AM !!!First Boot!!!, nhunt@jagat.com
writes:

<< Try tuning a concert piano with the outside doors open and a cold wet
 breeze coming across the piano, the stage hands doing a load in, the
 ligh crew are yelling to each other about how to set the lights and
 the sound guys trying to set up the sound system and you have 45
 minutes to tune somone elses piano.

 Now THAT is stress.

 Have a stressless weekend.

 	Newto

When I was first teaching, the principal would cancel the last period of the
day (the period I had band rehearsals) for a variety of reason. I kept telling
him I could never get the kids ready for a concert with so many cancellations.
All my complaining never mattered, and I learned very early that if the
"powers that be" don't care about the quality of the performance, why should
I.

I have taken that attitude along with me in all sorts of situations. My view
in life is: I will do best I can with the (equipment, time, product,
situations, you fill in the word), that has been given to me, and let it go at
that. 99% of the time my work is appreciated. The 1% someone complains about,
I either try to explain the situation, or brush it off.

Perhaps I would have been fired from a college situation, but I will not allow
other people's interference with my job cause me stress.  In other words, they
get what they pay for, under the conditions I have to work.

Willem Blees