CA pinblock with plate bushings

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:58:13 -0500

Robert Scott wrote:

> To those of you that have used CA on loose pins, what special
> application techniques do you use when the plate has plate bushings?
> I will be using it for the first time on a Henry Miller grand with
> wood bushings and I am concerned that the CA will not flow past the
> bushing, or if does, it might run along between the plate and
> the block and never find its way down the hole in the block.
>
> Bob Scott
> Ann Arbor, Michigan

I just apply the glue in the same manner, by driping it along the side
of the pins. Use the thinest stuff you can find. Dryburgh sells three
viscosities...use the one that runs like water.  It will go past the
bushings.

CAUTION: on a grand, the glue may not reach the pin-block and may make a
mess in the piano. Ask me how I know!!!  I no longer use this method on
grands!!  It helped, the paino was tunable after I was done, but it made
a mess. The piano was PSO (piano shaped object) at best, but I was not
happy with the mess.

CAUTION: remove the action and protect the keybed from dripping glue.

For vertical pianos, use your piano tilter to lay the piano on its back.

Despite what some folks say, this IS a valid repair on some pianos.
Sorry, not all of my clients can afford a re-pinning job for their 50-70
yr old piano.  I was up front and honest by telling them that this is
not the preferred method of repairs, but that it would buy them several
years of use. Everyone has been happy with the results and the repairs
are still going strong after 4-5 years.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild