No shows - was Re: Customers overpay me!

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:27:01 -0400

Leave a card in the door.

Wait for several days.  They may call with apologies.  If they do, ask
yourself if a failed apointment is likely again?  Sometimes, you can
tell.  If you think not, maybe forgive the charge and keep the
customer.  otherwise . . . . . .

Bill them for a service call.

Keep records.  If they don't pay and call you back two years later, the
bill is still outstanding.

I had a no show in a big snow storm a couple weeks ago.  I'm still
waiting to hear from him (good customer otherwise.  I want to hear his
story.)  Had another no show about a month ago.  Sent her a bill.  She
paid it (said it was a work emergency.)  She's back in the fold as far
as I'm concerned.

On the original thread . . . . .   I tuned for a neighbor today.
Steinway 'L' hadn't been tuned in over a year.  Spent an extra hour
easing keys.  (Both she and Mr. had noticed some sluggishness and gave
the go ahead. ) The bill was for the tuning plus an hour.

'WHAT, It's not a flat rate?!'

They are quite friendly, otherwise.  The variety of ways in which you
are perceived as a professional is indeed amazing.

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD