Update on Wurlitzer breaking bass strings

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:34:02 EST

In a message dated 3/24/99 9:13:11 PM Central Standard Time, jformsma@dixie-
net.com writes:

<< Unfortunately, this creates a
 problem which shows up later. Now I know what NOT to do to "fix" a loose
 tuning pin in a Wurlitzer. The quick fix, while acceptable in larger upright
 pianos, may not be a long-term "solution" in the Wurlitzer console and
 spinet.

 For what it's worth,

 John Formsma >>

John,
Driving the pin can still be an effective way of correcting a loose pin if you
combine it with doing something about the coil.  Either the way that Jim
Coleman suggested (which frankly, I don't quite get) or the way that was
taught to me a good 20 years ago.  You loosen the coil enough that with a
string hook, you can draw the wire from the bottom of the coil over the top.
As you tighten it up, you give it a couple of taps to keep it from being
spread out and tap in the pin substantially.

This will leave the pin in much deeper and with a firm torque.  The coil will
appear nearly normal but will have no severe angle to the V-bar and the wire
will not be straining against itself.  There are other makes of piano which
have the same problem, namely a certain vintage of Yamaha P-22 from about 6-8
years ago or so.  If I am tuning one of these and I have to raise the pitch
even a small amount, I do this to the coils of the 4 highest single strings
before I start.  I have broken too many of them to ever want to have to fix
one again.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin