Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

JPIESIK JPIESIK@arinc.com
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 9:11 -0500

I concur with Margaret, having read in several places that the only apparent
dangers of CA glue is gluing yourself to something.

If you haven't tried CA to instantly replace loose ivory, try it. It's fast,
strong bond, and reversible with heat if removal is required at a later date.
It's also great for those loose tails that "click", yet haven't quite completely
fallen off. Wick the CA under the loose tail section, a little pressure, and no
more clicking.

Regarding CA, pin dope, anti-freeze, Slick-50, Miles Mystical Magical pinblock
restorer, etc. - it's clear to me that *complete* pinblock treatments are an
indication that the piano is either ready for restringing or the grave. It's
always good to have a trick up your sleeve for that lone loose pin or two. But,
there comes a point in time when we must be up front with piano owners and
encourage them to replace their piano (preferably with good-quality new) when
it's no longer tunable. Doping a pinblock is merely a bandaid (which will
inevitably fall off, figuratively speaking) on a larger problem. Why not
encourage the proper fix - buy a good-quality new piano - or, rebuild/restring
it?

Isn't the goal to obtain the best clients and the best pianos, and promote new
piano sales? There are many worthy pianos out there - it's a matter of what
level of excellence you're willing to strive for.

Fire Away,

John Piesik, RPT
Oceanside, CA

More about CA glue - I rooted through all my old Fine Woodworking back issues
and sure enough they had a big article on glues.About CA glues: "Most CAs exude
vapors that are extremely irritating to the eyes, but are relatively non-toxic,
so no special protective equipment is needed when working in a well ventilated
area."  The big hazard is glueing yourself to the work or to yourself.  FW is
very careful about health hazard and OHSA issues; the writer is one of their
regulars, Chris Minick,, a product development chemist.
     So don't obsess too much about those fans, unless the effect is desired
with the customers -
     Margaret Hood