Removing Bass Strings

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:44:14 -0800

Whenever possible, I prefer to keep the entire piano close to tension
during the whole procedure of removal and replacement.  I do this by
removing 5 or 6 old strings at a time, replacing them and bringing them
up to tension before moving on to the next group.  It takes no longer
than replacing them as a set.  The result is that minimal tuning is
needed when you're done.

Having said that, in the case of obsolete pianos (no pun intended) where
I sent in the old strings for duplication, I have left the rest of the
strings at tension with no apparent ill effects.  In those cases, I
consider it more important not to disturb the tension on plain strings
which have been tuned many times and which have molded to the bearing
points.  Otherwise, a lot more tuning is required, you tend to get a lot
more false beats in the old strings ,and you may weaken the old strings
in the process.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA