super glue battle

JPIESIK JPIESIK@arinc.com
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 8:45 -0500

Paul writes:

     "I knew there was a good reason I refused to listen to any of you guys
     using CA glue on pin blocks.  And oil?  The only place for oil is a
     salad.  Only solution is a new pin block and restringing."

     I agree with Paul - I don't dope or use super glue on pinblocks.

     That post by that fellow in Florida was hilarious, wasn't it! Ah, we
     laugh.

     And oil? I personally know a technician (an RPT) who swears by
     "Slick-50" (yes, Slick-50, the engine oil treatment). He uses it,
     before every service, on the tuning pins, tuning pin coils, bridge
     pins, agraffes, and, if the action gets removed, action centers,
     hammers (yes, the hammers), etc. He might as well just be tossing the
     piano with tomatoes and onions with a dash of freshly gound pepper.
     Why do you think Yamaha has modified its warranty statement to exclude
     pianos that have been improperly treated with oil? Needless to say,
     many beautiful pianos have been ruined.

     I'm not laughing anymore.

     Regards,

     John Piesik, RPT