Perceived value (was RE: clunker)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:33:57 -0500

Stashing money in other accounts: I think Elian is right. I would have
never considered it until a recent experience. To relate, but otherwise
change the thread:

Although I'm not a player mechanic, the man had been told by nearby clients
I could fix anything on a piano. Arrived at his home, a portion of which
jutted out over a lake.

The man (and wife) watched me carefully as I assessed the problem. With
their curiosity, you'd think I was performing surgery on their first-born.
Although I had yet to mention a price, he suddenly remembered that I might
like to be paid for the call, excused himself and disappeared upstairs. I
overheard his side of the phone call, where he transferred $500 from
(whatever) account into his checking account.

I proceeded to repair the stripped hole, re-install the idler, thread the
chain, adjust tension, and test drive the player. I was happy that I could
finish quickly, get paid, and still have time to go for coffee before the
next call. Although I finished early, the call chewed up an appointment
slot, so he was charged the equivalent of a tuning. Customer was happy with
work results, but seemed confused, even perplexed about my charge. With
raised eyebrows, he wrote the check and thanked me.. too many times!

This was the second time I've experienced this phenomenon with player
owners. The previous time, the owner was visibly shaken when I presented my
bill. He said "Sir, you underestimate both your knowledge -and- your
worth". He then tore up the check he had just written, and wrote another
one for over three times the amount of my bill.

[Aside: Apparently player owners are accustomed to paying more for service
than piano owners. That's been the "constant" in the few dealings I've had.
Otherwise, I'm either on the wrong end of the business, or doing something
else wrong.]

At 01:02 PM 3/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Donīt be surprised, I tune for a lot of hi income people, it happens a lot,
>very seldom I get a check bouncing from middle class people, I think hi
>income people do not keep money in their check accounts, they keep it
>invested. Some for whom I tune are long time customers,  I donīt know in the
>US, but here you can present the check at the teller later again, normally
>the second time it gets through.
>
>Elian

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.