Why Strings Break

JPIESIK JPIESIK@arinc.com
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:34 -0500

Thanks, Bob. It's what I suspected, but it's good to hear it from others. Next
time I hear the Big Bang I won't feel so bad. John Piesik, RPT

In a message dated 3/30/99 1:10:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, JPIESIK@arinc.com
writes:

<>John:
You can never completely eliminate broken strings.  Like fine wine, strings
break when it is their time to do so.  Incorrect techniques (for instance
turning a tuning pin next to the one you're supposed to be turning and hearing
the awful "snap") can speed up the process.  Not every tuner lets the pitch
down as you mentioned just before turning it up.  In fact, I would imagine very
few do.  Strings age,oxidize,rust,develop weak spots, etc.,etc.,etc.
Some last 75 years and some break at their first tuning.  Some pianos I have
serviced have all their original strings and I'm talking about 50-70 year- old
pianos.  Some newbies have already experienced one or two breaks.  And these
are not limited to the "cheaper" brands.  I have seen strings break on very
new,very fine pianos also.
Some strings can be hastened to break through hard pounding and rapid
repetition-like we see on many church pianos.  And on and on.  Experience will
reveal all these wondrous mysteries to you in time.

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio