Leveling a plate? Del? Ron? Anybody?

Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:53:46 -0800

David ilvedson wrote:

> Del,
>
> Does this mean when you rebuild you replace angled hitch
> pins with the vertical pin?  You do this as a general practice?
>
> David I.

Yes, we have done this.  No, not as a general practice.

It depends on what I see as the cost/benifit ratio.  Not all pianos are constructed such
that doing this much work would be particularly benificial.  If the back scale length is
particularly long, very little would be gained.  If it is particularly short -- as with
many older pianos using so-called "tuned aliquot" backscales through the two treble
sections -- it may well be.  It is most often of benifit through the lower bass section
of short pianos where the backscales are "very" short.  We do not necessarily replace
all of the hitches with vertical pins.  Often it will be just through the bass.

-- ddf