Why Strings Break

JPIESIK JPIESIK@arinc.com
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 8:37 -0500

     Tom Cole writes:

"I'm very careful to listen for a pitch change as soon as I move the
pin. If not, then I will lower the pitch slightly, to get the string to
move, rather than pull it up any further and risk breakage."

This technique makes tons of sense to me! It doesn't necessarily involve
a wholesale lowering of tension before turning every pin, but it does
involve *maintaining awareness* while tuning. I think this is the
technique that most are stating, just that Tom put it very clearly.

Regards,

John Piesik, RPT
Oceanside, CA