Misbehaving Monkey (Reply)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 1 May 1999 05:50:40 EDT

Fred asks:
> My question is, Why does the
>> > spring slip out?  What can be done to keep it from slipping out?  As
>you
>> > know, the spring should not slip out whether or not the sostinuto pedal
 > is engaged.
Greetings,
   I suggest that you observe the starting angle of the sos. rail.  If it is
quite low, then the monkey must travel an excessive distance to engage.  If
this is so, it is not uncommon for the monkey lift the spring far enough out
of its slot so that the pitman pushes it out in a distal direction.
   The fix is to bend the attachment loop so that the sos. rod is higher at
rest and the monkey moves less to engage the tabs.  This should leave the
spring in place.  Otherwise, you can remove some material from the proximal
side of the monkey(under the spring) to reduce the "levering" motion on rise.
Regards,
Ed Foote