Tightening coils on sloppy restringing

Thomas D. Seay t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 2 May 1999 18:44:52 -0500

>I am not advocating, or defending a sloppy stringing job, but here's
>something I want to throw out of disucssion.
>
>I was told once that the way a string is coiled around a pin has no effect on
>the tuning stability of that string. This does NOT include a loose becket, or
>untight coil. I am talking about wires that cross over each other. Anideas on
>this?
>
>The other aspect of this post is the coils against the plate. Again, it is
>not a good way to do it, but what is the effect of a coil down on a the plate?
>
>Wim

Wim,

A very interesting question!

I would think that the way the string is coiled around the pin might not
have any effect on how the string STAYS in tune, but I wonder if it would
affect the ease with which the string could be PUT in tune. I'm speaking
primarily of possible rendering problems associated with a string's
crossing over its segments. Then there is also the problem of bass strings
which sometimes break when the coil crosses over on itself - a few of the
older Yamaha P22s come to mind.

As to your other point, it's likely that there might be rendering problems
if the pin is driven down so far that the wire either rests on the plate,
or partially inside the tuning pin hole, or bears down too hard on the
plate felts.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Seay