Kranick & Bach Wippens

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 May 1999 19:42:21 EDT

I guess I was fortunate.  I can identify with the dog problem, as I once had
removed an action from a Kranich & Bach, set it on the floor.  While my
attention was turned to the piano, the customer's puppy commenced feeding.

The piano was an old upright, and only #88 hammer was destroyed, which was
easily replaceable.

I've had bouts with Kranich Bach grands, too.  Jacks tend to break at the
center pin hole--new parts worse than the originals on that score.  The
horizontal wippen flanges were used so that the wippens (and hammer shanks)
could lie parallel to the rear part of the keys rather than at 90 degrees to
the action rail.   And the keys are configured without the second bend, which
would mean getting a new set of keys if one wanted to replace the entire top
action with modern parts.

Bill Maxim, RPT