Tightening coils on sloppy restringing

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 02 May 1999 18:02:16

Hi Wim,
       Wires that cross over each other tend to kink, this becomes the weak
point in the chain and will lead to breakage, open coils tend to creep
together so there goes a certain amount of tuning stability.
The string touching the plate. two or three problems CAN happen. 1. the
string starts to jam in the plate hole, again a risk of breakage plus it
makes it very difficult to equalise the tension, definitely a stability
issue. 2. the increased bearing on the rear termination bar, and the
resultant increase in friction can cause pin setting problems, so there
goes stability again.
On older pianos with tired wire pin setting is not such a problem, but
breakage tends to be the problem.
I would tend to think that the imformation that you have recieved is
incorrect.
On certain brands of new pianos, lightly tapping the coils together can
drop the pitch a full tone. We have found that a significant improvement is
achieved, and do this on all new grands, along with securing stings to
bridges. I use to think that instability was just due to the piano being
new, and wire stretching over it's speaking length. Since adopting this
prepping procedure, I am more convinced that the bearing points has more to
do with stability, than the natural stretch of new wire.
Just my own take on the subject.
Regards Roger

At 07:12 PM 5/2/99 EDT, you wrote:
>I am not advocating, or defending a sloppy stringing job, but here's
>something I want to throw out of disucssion.
>
>I was told once that the way a string is coiled around a pin has no effect
on
>the tuning stability of that string. This does NOT include a loose becket,
or
>untight coil. I am talking about wires that cross over each other. Anideas
on
>this?
>
>The other aspect of this post is the coils against the plate. Again, it is
>not a good way to do it, but what is the effect of a coil down on a the
plate?

>Wim

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.