hammered Foote

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 03 May 1999 12:09:29

Hi Ed,
      Order the new Renners from Baldwin the have been tapered and tailed
to be compatable with older actions, re weight. These hammers are built to
Baldwin specs. and whilst firmer than the originals, they are not as hard
as the stock Renners. I have lightly steam voiced from the killer octave
down and obtained very good results. No treatment for the top two octaves
and it's an improvement over the cold pressed/hardened hammers.
The Abel's is definitely my second choice for this piano, bass hammers will
have to be tapered to get the touch right.
Hope this helps
Roger

At 08:52 AM 5/3/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Greetings all,
>     I am taking some suggestions here on a new hammer job.  The piano is a
>Baldwin M.
>   This is a fairly small grand, and the hammers on there are somewhat
>lighter than the Renner Blues I have usually used.  The Renner Lites are
>available in the right weight and lengths, but this customer is interested
in
>a mellow piano sound, so I am looking for something that has a little less
>compression in it.
>   I have, for some reason, worked on extremely few Baldwins in my career,
>and rehammered only one, years ago, when the hammer choices were more
>limited.  What is the hammer recomendation from those "Baldwin
Experienced"?
>Is it the Abel?  Factory replacements?  Ronson, etc?  Somebody get me up to
>speed on what is working best for these pianos today!
>Thanks and regards,
>Ed Foote

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.