Request for Info

Victor Belanger vbela@MIT.EDU
Tue, 4 May 1999 16:33:06 -0400

Hi all--

I'm posting this request from a non-subscriber.  If you are able to
provide information, please contact her directly, as she will not see
replies posted to the list.

Victor Belanger
Somerville, MA
To: hpschd-l@listserv.albany.edu
From: Jewel Smith <smijl@email.uc.edu>
Subject: old pianos

I am a Ph.D. candidate in musicology at the Univeristy of Cincinnati. I am
writing my dissertation on the Moravian Young Ladies' Seminary in Bethlehem,
Pennsylvania, from the years 1815-1860. I am specifically studying the piano
music that the young women studied and performed. Naturally, as part of my
dissertation, I need to write about the pianos they used and how they were
constructed. I spent two summers in Bethlehem doing research, and I have
taken pictures of old pianos there (inside as well as outside). Two of the
makers I am concerned with were J.C. Till and John C. Malthaner. I believe
the Till piano was built in the 1820s. Malthaner came from New York to
Bethlehem in 1837. He lived there and built pianos until his death in 1873.
His sons were also involved in the business. He did quite well there as far
as I can tell. I am needing help in understanding the construction of these
pianos. I have not been able to find the names of these makers in any books
where I have looked thus far. I will certainly appreciate any help or leads
that anyone can give me.

Sincerely,

Jewel Smith

smijl@email.uc.edu