Tools and such...

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 4 May 1999 23:15:44 -0500 (CDT)

>Jon wrote:
>
>>In regards to screw drivers:
>>Snap-on     Even the slot bit drivers for a 3/8" drive ratchet.
>>
>>I've broken everything from Craftsman to Stanley.
>>Nothing I've tried holds up to the quality of Snap-on.
>>

>I'm with you 100% on this one Jon.  I fell for the "Craftsman Guarantee" on
>a set of screwdrivers a year or so ago.  Junk.
>Brian Trout

I've got a four or five older Craftsman screwdrivers among my extensive and
somewhat eclectic working stock. They seem to be good quality, and hold an
edge quite well without being brittle. I haven't managed to break them yet
and I tend to be pretty hard on screwdrivers. I can't speak for the quality
of the current product line.

I also have a "big ol'" Snap-on that I found on the highway a few years
back. After I hammered it straight again, it proved to be a first rate tool.
I haven't been able to hurt it either. Well worth the price too. I'd
probably even buy one if it came to that. Incidentally, I have actually
bought a few Proto screwdrivers and like them a lot.

Alright, I'll confess that I will shamelessly stop and pick up tools and
such that I see lying in the road. I've got a Stanley "contractors" hacksaw,
an aluminum framing square, a rock hammer, an couple of oil filter wrenches,
and odds and ends of screwdrivers, wrenches, and sockets that I obtained
this way. I won't, however, pick up those rubber tie downs with the hooks on
the end. They obviously don't work or they wouldn't be in on road. Today, I
stopped and picked up a very small poor wet shivering opossum I found
wandering among the high speed traffic after being separated from Mom during
last night's storm. He's currently residing in the bath tub sleeping on a
"hot rock" wrapped in old towels. He seems to be of reasonably good quality,
but I expect he'll go back outside when he's ready instead of into the shop.

That ought to be enough damage for now. Good night all.

 Ron