Kawai let-off (poor jack design?)

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 6 May 1999 00:56:21 -0500

OK I have a Kawai wip. And I am examining the motion between the jack
tender (heel) and substitute let off button.  Why is it gouging a groove
in the let-off button felt?  Because of its lateral motion across it, or
the impact?  What is in this design that makes this wear more in Kawai
than other designs?
	I don't know if there is a let off button in any piano without some sort
of depression from the jack heel (tender)  AND it is the postiton of this
depression (groove) that determines the fine regulation of let off.  I
know it is frustrating that the let off button must be turned in
increments of 180 degrees. (Or 360 if it is not centered over the heel),
for "wide" heels.  On the other hand for "narrow" heels such as the Kawai,
these impact less surface area on the button so perhaps give a "high heel"
effect to the felt, ie a deeper groove.(or so one would think)  Either
way, once you start "regulating" it seems  a lot more is needed a lot
faster, because, (I tink) you are giving the tender a fresh soft surface
to dig into.  Do you mean a better design would prevent this?   Details?
Because of the "circle of actions" don't you think it is impossible for
one circle to move across a stationary object without rubbing, therefore
gouging ?  If that is all the jack tender had to do.  Poor thing, it seems
to be moving in two directions at once!

 Ric Greuve