Petrof/Renner actions

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 May 1999 19:12:14 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/99 3:42:31 PM !!!First Boot!!!, richardb@c2i.net
writes:

<< I work with Petrofs daily. They are really "big" here in western Norway.
 This I believe is mainly due to the fact that they have a relatively
 nice round basic sound. There are at least three big problems with
 Petrofs.

 1.  The action. I dont believe Renner assembles it, and I question
 whether all parts are truly Renner. In any case You must expect to have
 to go through the entire action checking everything from basic geometry
 to allignment of whippens, hammers etc. etc. ad absurdum before you try
 and regulate the action. Otherwise you can expect a regulation that will
 be unstable and uneven.

 2. The tunning block is often of poor quality and fitting to the plate
 leaves much to be desired. On more then one occasion I have been able to
 insert a tuning mute between the plate and the block so that it goes
 over an inch in. Amazzzing. Petrofs are famous over here for not holding
 tunings. A guy I know in Seattle automatically sets a Petrof grand out
 of the box on its side and starts pumping in epoxy to fill the gaps.

 3. Bridge pin work is also very bad. Makes for a lot of false beats.

 My advice is buy a Samick. Still, if you must have a Petrof, and are
 willing to take care of the action problems and make sure the tunning
 block is reasonably well adjusted to the plate, you can live with the
 false beats, and like I said, they do have an ok sound. You can stand a
 few feet from a Petrof and hear it played and actually be a bit
 impressed. If Petrof combined japanese precision with what they already
 do right it probably would be en excellent piano. Unfortunatly they
 dont.

 Richard Brekne
 Sydneskleiven 1
 5010 Bergen, Norway >>

I can't believe we are talking about the same instrument Richard is
descrbing. The Petrofs htat have come into my store were regulated, and in
most instances, didn't even need tunign until they had been my store for at
least 3 or 4 weeks. And then, even though I have only worked on them since
January, I have not had any tuning stability problems.

I am wondering if Petrof is making a different piano for marketing in America
than they do in Europe? As I have mentioned, I have only started selling them
since January, and the seem to be selling themselves. Either I am losing it
as a technician, or I am going to be in for a big shock, if what Richard says
is true.

Willem Blees
St. Louis