Currier pianos

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 May 1999 19:23:06 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/99 4:51:14 PM !!!First Boot!!!, jformsma@dixie-net.com
writes:

<< Is it possible to make a Currier sound "good", or must we be satisfied with
 "better"? If it is possible for them to sound good, what is the secret to
 it? I want to do the best job possible, but I don't want to spend precious
 time if it will accomplish no measurable good.

 I read in the Pianotech archives (from some time ago) that at a convention
 there was a Grand brand spinet that sounded very good, according to the
 author. I have tuned a couple of "Grands", and this was not at all my
 reaction. :-)

 In general, what should we expect from these cheaper pianos?

In general, although they weren't the greatest instruments, Currier pianos
didn't do all that bad in the long run. Part of the problem with the ones you
just did was perhaps a lack of care over the last 15 or so years. Perhaps
after a couple of tunings at regular intervals, the piano will tune up better.

A lot spinets and counsels made in the 60 - 80 by the various manufacturers
fall into the classification of being "not the greatest." Corners were cut,
the manufacturing process left something to be desired, and quite frankly,
some of the factories just didn't seem to care. This lack of quality led to
the downfall of the American made instruments in this country. So to pick on
one particular brand over another is not going to be fair to the industry as
a whole, because they were all to blame.  While there were some decent
instruments made during that time, we need to approach the tuning of these
instruments with a bit of apprehension, and do the best we can with what we
have, and not complain too much. But as someone once mentioned, the check you
get after tuning a Currier spinet buys just as much groceries as the check
you get after tuning a new Petrof of Knabe.