merits of the square pianos

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 May 1999 21:56:24 EDT

Steve, Jon:

More square piano meanderings.... I realize I hadn't mentioned the main
reason for the Jan deGaetani recording with the square piano:  historical
value.   This goes, of course, beyond academic historical interest to the
very things we piano techs and musicians should be interested in, which is
what you (Steve) have pointed out:  the square's tonal character.  Now we
know about the necessity of the fortepiano in understanding the music of the
period;   I believe this is the point of using a square with Stephen Foster's
songs, for example.  The square was in many American homes in the 19th
century, and much of this music was played with the square piano.  And how
fitting to use it for the Foster songs.

Steve, don't diminish the power you string players have.  A few of you string
players easily drown out a singer - except for a few medical miracles - the
modern voice, well rehearsed and warmed up, using normal vibrato,  is about
all us singers can muster.  Put it with a small string orchestra and the
singer better not get the orchestra mad.   Back to the chamber rehearsal - I
wonder if the Steinway was voiced a bit bright, or the piano difficult to
play pianissimo.    It is not always possible to match instruments in
performance (period vs. modern), but I think I would want to have gut on a
violin if used with a fortepiano, and modern strings with a Steinway D.   But
its a good point about the character of the square.

It seems to me (not a designer) that a square is such a severe compromise
both in terms of the action - extremely long key, no repetition feature - and
structure - treble bridge bend - that it was a detour in piano development.
But I don't really know - I only repeat conventional wisdom of the last 30
years.  However, given the revival of interest in the fortepiano, I wonder if
we all should be more careful than before when called to appraise/evaluate
and give advice on a client's square grand.  Again, I am interested in some
others weighing in on this.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<< The somewhat lighter,  relatively transparent tone made balancing the
small string ensemble as well as the vocal quartet as simple as could be.
Eventually the pianist was convinced as well. She was able to cut loose a bit
more, and didn't always have the feeling she would have been better off in
the next r!
 oom.  >>