The teacher's piano

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 May 1999 19:46:00 PDT

Greetings Clyde and list,

Clyde wrote:

Isn't it likely that the progress of the student can be helped or hindered
by the quality of the teaching piano?

Yes.  There are many piano compositions that cannot be successfully played
on an unregulated, poor quality piano.  Many 20th century pieces along with
today's New Age piano music uses much repetition, which some of the pianos
we're talking about don't respond very well ( mostly due to lack of
servicing).

However, my experience with students, specifically children, tells me that a
good piano teacher is one who has a good piano, but more importantly
understands each student, their potential and knows how to reach that
potential to the fullest degree possible.

My piano professor in college had two well-maintained Steinways in her
studio, a Ph-D in piano performance from Julliard, studied with Eugene Liszt
but she has the social skills of a mosquito.  Sad to say we didn't get along
those 4 years and I'm still in the average bunch of grade 4's. She doesn't
know how to work with people, but man can she play.

Sorry I got a tad off subject.

Jay Mercier