The teacher's piano

Tony Caught caute@accessnt.com.au
Sat, 8 May 1999 18:41:40 +0930

The real shame is that manufacturers don't make an upright piano that =
has an action that gives the same responses as a grand piano's action.

This is possible by several ways but it has not been adopted for =
financial reasons only.

The benifit to the teacher and the student would be enormous.

How many of you have heard the average music teacher say 'lift your =
fingers of the keys' then heard the master class professonal say 'keep =
your fingers on the keys'.

Personally, I am one of those piano tuners who can't play. But, I know a =
good upright can be regulated (short term) well enough for a good =
pianist to play almost anything.   But for the student who is learning =
to use expression with repetition, well, on the average upright it is =
very difficult, particularly if you lift your fingers off the keys.

So, when are manufacturers going to change ?.