C-A glue for pin blocks

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 08 May 1999 08:19:43 -0400

At 04:09 AM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:

><<2.  With the action out of the piano and plastic sheeting on the key
>bed, apply accelerator to the under side of the pin block at the problem
>area.  This is so that any glue that might be tempted to drip will
>harden before doing so.  The plastic is in case that fails.>>
>
>No - for just one pin slip a foot square sheet of alum foil above the
action,
>below the area of the pin. You are only going to put on a few drops, less
>than one  cc.

I finally broke down and tried this treatment on a S&S. I would have replaced
the pin had not the surrounding pins been a tad on the sheepish-side.

I asked the customer for a discarded section of newspaper. I half-opened the
fall baord and placed it on top of the top action.  After a few minutes I was
able to
get the pin to hold tension and told the customer to pull the section of
newspaper
out later that day.

On a related note, I did not want to pull the action to replace a missing
pin/string
on a Chickering Quarter Grand for fear again of disturbing the meager hold of
the
neighboring pins. Instead,  I screwed in the 4/0 pin, installed the coil (made
on a
dummy pin) and brought to tension.  Then another rusted bass string broke,
splice
failed, replacement ordered.

You win some, you lose some,

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net