Currier pianos

Sat, 08 May 1999 10:46:01 -0700

Kwkeys@AOL.COM wrote:

> I beleive that this model of Currier had what they called a "stratophonic
> string panel" or some similar name. As you have described, there is a face
> plate of steel over the cast iron plate. These would sometimes come loose
> from the plate and push forward against the strings. The only remedy is to
> loosen the tension on the strings, drill through the face plate, drill and
> tap holes in the plate. and bolt the panel back to the plate. If I recall
> correctly, 6-8 bolts (1/4" dia) would suffice. After the repair, the piano
> would be a sufficient instrument for the normal home application.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Kent Webb

The Currier "Stratophonic String Panel," or whatever it was called, was indeed
sheet steel bonded to an MDF core.  That's MDF as in Medium Density
Fiberboard, not cast iron.  Which is why the treble tuning pins were spread
out of half of God's creation.  The panel would not take much of a point
stress.

Wonderful idea, but not tested well enough or long enough.  And designed
entirely by engineers -- with an engineers faith in numbers -- without a piano
designer or piano tuner in sight.  Tuning those treble strings was an
interesting experience in patience.

Regards,

Del