Ivory Substitute

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Sat, 8 May 1999 18:03:24 -0400

----------
> From: james turner <JTTUNER@webtv.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Ivory Substitute
> Date: Saturday, May 08, 1999 5:05 PM
>
> I apologize if this question has been asked before.  Has anyone
> developed a plastic keytop that really looks like ivory?

If there are any, I've never seen them, and I've tried lots of different
plastic that is advertised to look like real ivory.

> Are there any technicians who can recover keys in the new bone?  It is
> probably to expensive for most people, but does anyone know the cost of
> this?

You can get keys recovered in bone or real new ivory which is available
from lots of sources.  The ivory heads, tails and fronts will run about
$700 if you want to try it yourself.  Bone is probably half as expensive.
A set of keys will take 20 to 40 hours worth of work, maybe more if the
wood is not in the best shape.

Frank Weston