Rendering, et al

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 May 1999 18:49:59 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/99 4:54:55 AM !!!First Boot!!!, nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
writes:

<< Hi all, I've got one for you.
 Fresh rebuild... new agraffes, new brass counter bearing bars, new strings,
 high expectations. Result: three strings *ping* and *squeak* through the
 agraffes when tuning... a couple in the bass, and one in the low tenor. I
 see no apparent reason for the noises, and Protek doesn't seem to slick the
 problem away. It isn't really a problem with tuning or general tone
 production, but it's one of those annoying things that I think shouldn't be
 there without explaining itself, which it so far refuses to do. So what the
 heck is it?

  Ron

Several thoughts come to mind. Even though you have new strings, the kind of
noise you are describing would indicate the strings have a notch in them at
the agraffe, or other pressure point. If it is a plain wire string, reduce
the tension on one end, and pull up on the other end, to get the notch away
from the pressure point.
For the bass strings, I guess you might want to replace the string.

Second thought. If it is the agraffe, are you sure the agraffe is tight on
the plate. If these were replaced, perhaps they weren't settled down on the
plate securely.

Third thought. Even though they are new agraffes, perhaps the holes are cut,
putting extra pressure on the string as it is pulled though. This will be
hard to see, unless you pull the agraffe out.

Just my three cents worth.

Wim